Dried Sultana & Raisin Mix
Dried Apricot, Cherry & Cranberry Mix
Stem Ginger in Syrup
FOR THE BODY
cinnamon sticks, nutmeg & cloves
FOR A REAL FESTIVE FLAVOUR!
1. 3 apples (I like Pink Ladies because they're so sweet!) - halved, quartered, cored then diced & place in the pot you will cook up the mince meat in
2. 2 cups of each type of dried fruit mix (you can use solely sultanas & raisins but the additional flavours from dried apricots, cherry's & cranberries are DIVINE) - place in pot with apples
3. 1 lemon & 1 orange - zest, halve & then slice one half of each into thin slices, combining to the mix
4. add 2 inch size pieces of ginger, along with a good drizzle of the syrup to the fruit mix
5. 1 stick of cinnamon, 5/6/7 cloves (your choice), 1 tbsp ground almonds & a good grate of some nutmeg - add all the pot
6. 1 cup port, 2 cups apple juice (I was making this while visiting my parents & was lucky enough to use my dads home grown, home juiced apples... DELISH!) - cover the fruit mix with both then move to the heat
7. bring to the boil, then simmer for half an hour & repeat*
*if you're lucky enough to have time on your hands then repeating this step as many times as possible will create the stickiest, sweetest, most flavoursome mice meat - but twice is fine
8. take off the heat & allow to cool (if you can, leaving the mix over night will allow the flavours to develop even further) once cool, you can store & leave OR get rolling out that pastry, now you've got your filling SORTED!